Christmas 2011 was a pretty fun one! I think our kids are the only kids in the world who BEG to go to sleep early. Beg tot he point of almost in tears because they are so panicked they will be awake and Santa will pass by.
We changed up our dinner tradition- really we just scrapped it! Each year for the past 11 years we have made a type of stew or soup- our kids don't eat it very well. This year we did finger foods- it was a HUGE hit! Everyone ate piggies in a blanket, chicken wings, mozzarella sticks, popcorn chicken, apples, grapes, strawberries- with yummy fruit dip. There was not a single complaint.
We watched part of the DVD Joy To the World, then read Luke chapter 2. We sang a few Christmas Hymns- and talked about the importance of remembering the true meaning of Christmas.
We also have the tradition of books and pajama's on Christmas Eve. It is getting harder to find books for my kids! Lexi is the perfect age for Shannon Hale's books- so she got the Goosegirl series. Ashlee got the first 3 books in Fablehaven. Carly got a few books in the I Read It and I'm There- about the Savior. She hasn't opened a single one, so that may not have been the best choice for her.:) Baylee LOVES Max and Ruby, and Princesses- she was in heaven with her two little books.
Each year I take a picture of the tree on Christmas Eve- I think because I know it's the last night with it looking so full and well, Christmassy!
Christmas morning starts at 7:00- one year I hope they'll sleep a little later! The kids were running down the stairs, Baylee had a HUGE smile when she saw her new kitchen- she has been asking for one for months. In fact if she saw a commercial with a child and a kitchen she would ask if I could take the kitchen from the child so she could have it! Some of her other highlight gifts were food for the kitchen, baby doll, bottles with juice and milk, DS games, and a Fishy game.
Carly wanted an American Girl doll, one that looked like her. She was so excited to see her doll had pink glasses and earrings! Some of Carly's other highlight gifts were many matching outfits for her and her doll Lilly, dress up magnetic dolls, DS games, and a vest.
Lexi and Ashlee just KNEW they would get iTouches if they asked for them. About two weeks before Christmas I told them I didn't think we could swing it. They were kind of bummed, but tried to pretend it wasn't a big deal. I promised them they would like what they got instead. Santa was so smart to wrap their new iTouch in a box they'd never guess what it was. The look of shock on their faces when they opened and saw their iTouches- it was GREAT! A few of their other highlight gifts were $40 gift cards to buy accessories to go with their touches, vests, shirts, and stocking stuffers. Lexi got make up as her stocking stuffer, and Ashlee got her own brush- she has been begging for one, and her own hair straightener.
We finished opening presents just in time to get ready for church. I love having Sacrament on Christmas day- it ties it all together.
We hope you all had a Merry Christmas too!!

1 comments:
What a great Christmas! I liked that you changed up the Cmas Eve menu - Andrew's family has soup every year too and my kids don't like it at all.
Post a Comment