My sister has blogged about how she is trying to eat new foods and face some of her fears. I swear Larae and I are the pickiest eaters out of all the kids in our family. Larae is WAY worse then me though! She blogged about her brave adventures eating a grape, and touching a snail. Her thoughts on branching out made me realize I needed to do that also. We really limit ourselves from great experiences, food, and joy- just because of fear.
I have decided to try and be more brave. This weekend we are going to Silver Dollar City again and I'm going to make myself go on a roller coaster. I used to love all kinds of rides, but after having the girls I freak out that the ride will break and something horrible will happen. So I'm going to face my fear- I know I will love it once I'm on.
As for the pickines of food I took a BIG step last night. Darrell loves broccoli and I HATE IT- REALLY HATE IT! I hate the smell of it, the smell it makes in my house, and it just looks so gross.
I made broccoli last night and we have a rule you have to eat as many bites as you are years old of vegetables. The girls were already upset that we had to eat it, but they slowly started on their bites. Ashlee just gets it over with- generally with our crying. Carly ate hers and was very upset that all her ranch was gone but the broccoli was still in her mouth. She did try again and actually swallowed it. Lexi is so much like me- she was in tears over eating it, then started picking it apart like it would make it taste better. She finally would eat a huge bite of her chicken alfredo with an itty bitty piece of broccoli- but she finally got it down. It was my turn next. I have in the past pulled the "Mom Card" and only make myself take one bite. I made myself eat all that was on my plate. I was so surprised- I didn't even gag! I think it tasted better then green beans- my other least favorite vegetable.
Thanks Larae for making me be brave and try a few new things- who knows maybe I'll get brave and touch a snail too!
In America...?
5 months ago

6 comments:
I know exactly how you feel. I loath green beans, they are so gross. I can't eat them at all, but I've also recently started eating Broccoli with ranch. I am glad you were able to get it down!
Way to go Alissa. Good idea to try it with fettucine alfredo. How about with cheese sauce for the next time? I can't really complain - I love broccoli AND green beans. I think the only veggies I don't like are okra and brussel sprouts. When I was a kid, I hated beets and one night was having a very bad tantrum (I was 4) about eating my beets. My dad decided to cut them up to make it easier to eat, so instead of 1 big beet on my plate, I had like 32 little beets - I cried harder the more he cut them up. I think he got a kick out of it.
I've had a hard time eating raw brocolli since throwing it up during a flu episode. It HAS to be cooked. My brother used to hide his brocolli in his milk. Maybe you could try that? And just dump it down the sink when no one is looking. And if you are wanting something to make brocolli look good, check out what we had for dinner a few nights ago. It's on our blog. Yuck!
I'm so proud of you. :) What about pineapple? j/k
I love broccoli! But my kids hate it too. I'm glad you're branching out! It's amazing how our mind limits us when we let it.
And if you want to be brave I told Lea Ann I thought it would be fun to all go rapelling at Thansgiving. I haven't doen it since I was 12!
I don't really care for broccoli or green beans. If I had to take my pick I would definately go with broccoli. Green beans are definately my least favorite. I have been having my kids try new things too. They are not so excited. They think oranges are gross. Who doesn't like oranges!!!
Post a Comment