Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I Passed Level I Swim!!

I have now caught up to Ashlee in swim, so next week I get to begin level II. I think I have shocked my swim instructor at my lack of coordination though! I can do the correct breathing if I don't move my arms, but having to worry about turning my head to breathe, keep my arms in the correct form, and kick my legs- I just don't have that kind of coordination in my body. All the different forms of back floats I'm fine on because lucky for me I have big hips! At least there is something positive about these child bearing hips! The bigger the middle, the better you float on your back. There are 6 adults in the class with me. The first class everyone was a little nervous at what was going to be expected of us. But the instructor is really good and takes everything really slow. I keep watching Ashlee and Lexi in their classes and they are diving off the dive platforms- that makes me want to throw up! I know I'll just belly flop! Oh well, I guess that's why they start us out slow and will build us up to it.
The kids are so excited for the month of October to get here. Ashlee is having a spooky birthday party, and can't wait! Darrell's mom is also coming out that same weekend. If anyone has any creative spooky ideas for 6 year old's- please share! I'm going to do a Mummy Wrap where they have to race and wrap someone in a whole roll of toilet paper. We're also going to have different parts of a witch in a bowl that they have to stick their hands in. Lexi and Ashlee are begging to know what I'm doing for that- but I'm not going to tell them, they can be surprised like their friends. I guess I can share it with you guys, since the girl's don't get on here to read. The witches hair will be Chinese noodles, brain is spaghetti, eye balls are peeled grapes, fingernails are cornflakes, toes are carrot sticks, and blood is tomato soup. We're also doing a relay race with candy corn on a spoon. I'm copying Jenny's cute idea of the spiders in cobwebs on the front of the house. But that's all I've got figured out so far.
Parent Teacher Conference's were yesterday- I am so thankful I have good kids! Lexi is going to be tested for the gifted program. I have mixed feelings about it because every Tuesday they re bussed to a different school for the day. I'm a paranoid mom! Then the next concern is what if Ashlee isn't requested in the TREC program? If her sister does it and she can't it's a hard thing to explain! I guess that will be one of her main realizations that sometimes life isn't fair. Ashlee's teacher surprised me. I guess I don't give Ashlee enough credit, I'm such a bad mom! She has all A+ in each subject and is the only one in her class with those grades! She is being bumped up to a more advanced reading level which really surprised me because she refuses to read at home unless it's her homework. They definitely don't get this from me- I hated school and goofed off most of the time. They both love to be challenged and learn new things.
There's the update on us! Darrell is in Nashville this week and I can't wait for him to get home tomorrow! Oh, a side note- the dude ranch is finally reimbursing us for the money we lost on our camera! When they send us the check we can finally get a digital camera again! I HATE disposables!!

6 comments:

Bench Family said...

I love your comments! Congrats on passing level 1!

Heidi said...

Hooray for you on the swimming! The spooky party sounds alot of fun--you have it all planned out I'm sure the kids will love it. I have food suggestions if you need them...
1. you serve hots dogs wrapped in dough so they look like mummies. 2. Or thin twisted breadsticks with red almonds on the end to look like witch fingers.
You should do dry ice in your punch!
I guess I will know all about Halloween themed birthday parties with this baby. And I'm happy to hear you're getting reimbursed--it's about time!

Aubrey said...

Sounds fun, you are great to take swim lessons. I took them as a kid, but I still cant breath through my nose. Brandon laughs at me becasue when ever he is trying to dunk me I am always screaming "wait I need to plug my nose" so it really isnt a surprise.

Idea for the party, for the brain you could just use a head of cauliflower.

Stephanie said...

Yeah for you for passing Level 1 swim!! Your party sounds like tons of fun! I'll have to dig out my book of Halloween treats and send you some..But it sounds like you have it all worked out already!

Castiel Moyes said...

I am so jealous that you are having a Halloween party. My girls are begging for one but I just can't seem to gather up the energy to do one for them. I love Halloween though and I always thought it would be SO fun. Your ideas have inspired me and maybe I will do it. Congrats on the swimming accomplishments!

Kaufman Family said...

I can just picture you learning to swim. That is a funny picture in my mind. I am glad things are going well for you guys. We are no longer in Vegas. We moved to Utah in the past month. It is fun. Well, someday I will have a blog. Anyway, keep writing funny stories.