Friday, January 11, 2008

Is This How I Really Sound?!

My kids say the craziest things when they are playing. I love to listen and laugh at they're funny phrases, but sometimes they hit a little too close to home. The other day Ashlee and Carly were playing- yes, they actually have been playing nicer lately!! Anyway, Ashlee touched Carly's baby- who she was calling Baby Brother. I hear Carly screaming, "You get back and have wespect fow me and my Baby Bwova (Baby Brother) young lady!" I was cracking up because I thought they were just being silly, turns out Carly was poking Ashlee in the chest and was really mad! I don't poke my kids in the chest, but I do tell them they need to have respect for each other. Is this all my kids get out of the lectures? Ashlee has been known to tell people what kind of rules they should have in their houses to make them run smoother- she's been doing this for years now- it's better then it use to be. The other day she was playing at a friends house and needed a drink. She went in the room where my friend was putting away all her Christmas stuff and and my friend told her it would be a minute because she needed to pick the stuff up, and then she would get her one. Ashlee's response back was, "You should have cleaned this before I came over." What the heck is that about?! She really does have manners I swear! Lexi is quite the mother hen, who just likes peace in the house and between her sisters! But in order to have that peace she lectures Ashlee like you wouldn't believe! The other day I heard her saying, "Do you think that was a good choice Ashlee? How do you think Carly feels about that?" I have created monsters!

So what have I learned from these little comments? I can't decide- obviously something is sticking, but is it the right thing? I so wish I could fast forward 15 years and see how I did as a mom. Did I traumatize my kids with my fear of germs and bugs? Was I too hard on them when they made mistakes? Did I tell them I love them enough?
I do know when they hug me or leave a note for me saying they love me, or come over and whisper they love me- then I must have done something right- I hope!!!

6 comments:

Lish Fish said...

You are an amazing mom...always have been. I think we all have those moments. I remember when we lived in Taylorsville, I walked home from church on Mother's Day bawling. I felt like the worst mother on earth. Obviously, the Mothers Day program got to me... It was awful; and that was just with McKenna!! I think everyone has those moments Lissa, I do, especially when I am reading. I get really annoyed for being interupted. Stupid when you think about it. You are incredible, and remember, I am the one that forgot Lexi's sunblock... :) Love ya and miss ya!!

Darrell and Alissa said...

I'm glad you remkinded me of that so if Lexi has skin cancer when she's older I'll be sure to blame you, not me for the hundreds of times I've forgotten as well!!:)

thecustercrew said...

Your kids are just fine. They just got the genetics of your mouth. Ha Ha!! At least your kids tell each other to repect each other. I can tell Tanner has been listening to me a little too much. His favorite word lately is Crap!!. Lovely huh. So I'm trying not to use it so frequently. I think the Lord made them the way they are to keep us in check. You have great kids and your a great mom. Lighten up on your self and enjoy them, because the reality is they just grow up way too fast.
p.s. Kylea started her own blog now it is smileykylea.blogspot.com How's that for kids growing up too fast

Jennie Z said...

I think you are just raising responsible kids. There should be more mom's like you out there. Your kids just appreciate the structure, stability and cleanliness you have in your home! Great Job!!

Kylea said...

Hey, guys thanks for leaving posts on my blog it makes me feel even more loved! I MISS YOU GUYS SO MUCH! I wish I could jump on a plane and come see you guys RIGHT NOW! Hope to see soon.
LOVE,
Kylea

Castiel Moyes said...

That is too funny! I think they all pick up different things honestly. Maddy is the same way as Lexi, constantly mothering Josey and pointing out her bad decisions. I think you are doing a great job and your girls are wonderfully behaved and respectful and that is pretty hard to do!