Today is our 9th Anniversary! I remember thinking when we first got married being married for 5 years was forever away- and now we're at 9!
Darrell and I met through common friends at Institute- or the University Ward. The first time I saw him he was walking around a group of us talking and he made a funny comment about what we were saying. I though he knew someone in our group- but turns out he didn't. I asked him later what he was doing and he told me he was walking behind me to see if he was taller then me so he could ask me out! We met the end of February 1999, and were engaged March 14, 1999, then married May 22, 1999 in the Las Vegas Temple.
It was a very fast meet, date, get engaged, then married- but it was right for us. I actually brought up marriage first and was very nervous by his calm reply of yes, he could see us getting married.
A week before we were to get married, I woke up one morning for work and had a really bad stomach ache. I was working weird shifts then, it was 2 am, and I needed to be to work by 3:30. I walked to the bathroom to shower and keep getting ready- my mom always told us to keep moving and you'll feel better.;) I showered, and by the time I got out I could barely stand. The only things I could think of that I had done different was I had started my birth control pills a few weeks ago. I had heard people say they make your body think it's pregnant, and that's how you end up not getting pregnant- umm a little confusing I know. So I thought in my naive mind- if they can make me think I'm pregnant maybe my body thinks it's in labor and I'm having contractions! Great thought process huh?! By 4:30 I was really hurting and decided I needed to wake up my family- something was really not right. I crawled to my parents room and told my mom I couldn't stand- something was hurting. She asked where I was hurting. I tried to give her my thoughts on contractions and she gave me a strange look and said what side do you hurt on. I told her my right side- that was enough for her- she got out of bed and had me lay down and do a few things like lift my right leg and drop it- it hurt like crazy to do that. She told me it was probably my appendix. I then remembered a few of my siblings had theirs out- hmmm- not contractions then! My mom got ready and told me I had to go to the ER. I was the only one who could do my job that day- I needed to hang all the new ad price tags and change the prices in the computer so Albertson's wouldn't be giving away all kinds of free food that day. I told her I had to go to work for a few hours, then I could go to the ER. She laughed and asked if I planned on crawling at work too. I hadn't thought that far- I just knew I couldn't miss work! By now it was closer to 6:00 and I knew one of my bosses would be at work. We called and told him- he promptly told me to get to the ER. The next phone call was to Darrell. My Mom called him- he was in the shower. All he heard was I was in the ER and he jumped in the truck and came to the hospital. Oh what a treat he found! I don't handle pain well- and I get really annoyed when I don't feel good. He kept scratching his head and kept rubbing my arm trying to comfort me. I asked him in a not so nice voice whey he kept scratching his head- he had forgot to rinse the shampoo out of his hair in the shower! I also asked him to quit petting me like I was a dog- I was ORNERY! Poor guy should have seen all kinds of red flags that day! The nurses told me I had to drink some nasty stuff to do X-rays and see if it was my appendix. I barely got it down- almost threw up a few times, but was told if I threw it up I had to drink more. It tasted like the smell of dish soap! Then they started wheeling me to the CAT scan room and told me first I would have an enema.... WHAT??!! I said a few choice words and told them NO WAY! So I had to wait 4 more hours with no pain medication because they couldn't tell for sure it was my appendix. Poor Darrell- just sat there trying to figure out how to help me with out getting himself in trouble!
Then I was wheeled to another room where I was asked all kinds of questions- pregnant- drugs- on and on. My Dad had just walked in and was sitting with me and the nurse asked if my boyfriend was abusing me. I gave a strange look and said no- why? She told me she could see bruises on my neck. I laughed and told her Darrell and I had tried to give each other hickeys the night before- we were hickey virgins! They were very yellow- but yes, there were a few around my neck. My dad, who fathered 11 children, started blushing and stuttering when I told the nurse what they were. I also told her we were Mormon and getting married in a week. She laughed and said she understood. The surgery went well- I found that I don't wake up well to any kidn of sleep medicine very well- but I hear most people don't. Morphine makes me see things and say weird things also, but Darrell still stuck by me! We were also referred to as the "Mormon Couple"- the hospital staff was shocked we hadn't had sex yet. Amazing how people don't think anyone waits anymore- and that was 9 years ago!
So after that fun adventure- I was on pain medication even at our wedding. I don't remember a whole lot- I do remember having a lot of fun and being so thankful for all the family and friends who came to celebrate with us and support us.
I'm thankful for Darrell- he is a great friend, husband, and father. He asked me this morning if it has been 9 long years or 9 short years- my response was 9 GREAT years! Everyday isn't perfect- we have our disagreements- but it would be so boring if he did everything I wanted him to! Sorry the pictures look funny- but they are hanging on the wall and i didn't want to take them down and scan them in- so I just took pictures of them.




7 comments:
Ok Lissa...CONTRACTIONS?? Then being a hickey virgin?? You are hilarious!! Insane how fast everything goes. I swear. Congrats!!
OK I know pain doesn't make you think things through very well, but didn't you ever have sex-ed? :O) Congrats!! I can still remember you and Tara giggling away at one of Julie Z. cabin parties. You survived having 2 added boys-if you can sirvive that, you can sirvive it all!
"survive" I was typing while holding a small one
Oh, that is just too funny! Boy do you have some great stories! Your pictures are so sweet! I love wedding photos. You guys look just the same. CONGRATS!!
That is a very funny story, I loved reading it! I can't believe that happened only a week before your wedding!
Hey Alissa,
We really missed you guys this year. Rachel is big now and reminds me of your girls. They will have so much fun playing together next year! You look like your mom in your wedding pics ;)
I can't believe it has been sooo long! Dang appendix!
Post a Comment