Friday, December 12, 2008

Napkins In Bathrooms?

When we were flying to Las Vegas I took the kids to the bathroom in the airport. We were all washing and drying hands when this conversation took place.
Ashlee: Mom, why do they sell napkins for 50 cents?
Me: Those aren't the napkins we use at our table.
Ashlee: What are they for?
Me: We'll talk about it later!
There were a few other ladies in the bathroom cracking up as we walked out. Ashlee never brought it up again, so I left it alone- it's ok for her to think they sell dinner napkins in the airport bathrooms right?!
Last night she remembered- and kept asking about them. I finally told her what they were for. Her response you wonder?
EWWWWWW!!

*We have had a few little talks on growing up and the fun changes that happen, but we haven't had the complete talk yet with Lexi or Ashlee. I dread it- in fact it makes me start sweating and my stomach feels weird when I think about telling them how a baby is made! All they know is a baby is in me from a Mommy and Daddy cell that go together and make one cell that multiplies and after a few weeks forms a baby. Sound complicated? They had both learned about cells in science, so I jumped at the chance of explaining it that way since they knew everything is made of cells! I know Lexi is getting closer to when we need to talk to her, but ugg- there is that feeling in my stomach again! How did you guys tell your kids?

14 comments:

Familia Morales said...

That's so funny! I love Ashlee's response.

Lish Fish said...

I love that! Hilarious.

Unknown said...

LOL that is too funny!

Stacey said...

That's funny!! OH, just wait until you have to have "THE TALK"! That is SO AWKWARD discussing the facts about how babies are made, with your kids!!! We've had the "birds and bees" discussion with both PJ and Tessa, because when they keep asking so many questions, you want them to get the facts, not crazy stuff they hear at school (you wouldn't believe some of the crazy stuff that PJ has heard). We had the same reaction when we explained things...EEEWWWW GROSS!!

Leslie said...

Just wait, one day she will be using the "napkins" in the airport bathrooms! This week one of my girls "started"! AH! I am old!

. said...

You crack me up! Kids definitely say the darndest things, but I am always amazed at how inquisitive they are. I was shopping with my youngest today (she'll be 4 next month) and she grabs this tiny, lacy, thong underwear and yells "Mommy, you need some of these." When I try to hush her and tell her I am ok without them, she grabs about 10 of them and told me "You need at least 90 of them!" All the ladies nearby started to crack up too. You gotta love those memorable, yet embarrassing, moments!

i said...

thank GOODNESS that's still a ways off for us! too cute!

Audrey Taylor said...

Well, first I taught them the correct terminology of our reproductive anatomy...
just kidding!

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

Well, you read all about our experience. Just make sure Darrell waits for you before he starts talking! i have seen a book put out by American Girl that is all about that.

Castiel Moyes said...

I haven't completely had the talk with Maddy either! I have basically explained the same amount of stuff you have and I have just sort of been waiting until I think she is curious about it. My mom and sister think that I have waited WAY to long to tell her but I don't know. I always remember the story about the string cheese up Jenny's butt. That is a favorite story to tell to this day.

thecustercrew said...

Deseret Book has a good book. I used it for Kylea and Logan. I found the best time was when you were alone in the car. Alone time is hard to come by at our house. In the car they can't go anywhere and they don't have to look at you or you at them because you are driving of course. It seemed to be a little more relaxed place. They have even asked questions when we are alone in the car, so they must feel more comfortable there. Good Luck!!! They grow up sooooooo fast.

Anonymous said...

Could you explain it to my kids when they get older too? I'm sure you could do a better job!

thecustercrew said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the Custers

Heidi said...

Taylor is 9 and Zach is almost 8 and there has been no mention of the subject or anywhere close to it in our house - you can just be like my mom and completely avoid it all together!!