Friday, January 30, 2009

How To Stay Sane

The last post I put on was about our ice storm we had. We are still recovering from it! Finally today the sun is shining- I mean really shining to do some good melting! I haven't driven since Monday afternoon when I picked up the kids- the roads have been so bad. The ice was as thick as 6 inches in some parts, and the temperature hasn't been above freezing- until today. From the reports and news I've heard this is one of the worst ice storms they've had here- there have been deaths, and people are still without power and will be for a few weeks. We were blessed and only lost power for a few hours. But in those few hours our house went from 70 degrees- we had turned it up so the house would stay warm a little longer if we did lose the power, but after 2 hours the house was down to 50 degree's. We just getting ready to turn on the fireplace when the power came back on. Now that the melting has started I didn't even think about how dangerous that is. Branches falling from the weight of ice and water, a sheriff was killed a few days ago while he was helping clear branches- one fell on him and killed him! The ice that is sliding from our roof and knocking down all the icicles- they are HUGE!

This slid off our roof and landed on my poor rose bushes- hopefully they won't be too damaged!
My hope is Bentonville will now look at how bad this was and invest in some salt trucks so they can melt the ice! EVERYTHING closed! Everything, including the schools- which means we all have been trapped in the house with our kids for days now! Of course they get to go out and play a little, but it's not as much fun to play in ice- it's slippery, and you can't throw it at each other! So I bet you are wondering how we survived?! My intentions were to take pictures of everything we did, but I only took a few.

Lot's of movies!
Of course the Wii!

Nintendo DS's!

Playing games!
Reading books!
Playing out in the ice!



Riding on a sled with a 4 wheeler pulling- by far the favorite thing!

Lot's of hot chocolate!
Staying in jammies until noon!


Play dates with friends!

It has been a rough week, we all were getting very stir crazy- but now the sun is out and we all are much happier! I was so happy to get out and go to Wal Mart- I didn't even care that people were driving crazy, the parking lot was a mess- didn't phase me- I was just happy to be able to back my car out of the garage and get the heck out of my house!!
In all my rush on Monday to get the kids home before the storm started I backed my car out and hit the mirror on the garage wall- broke it. I hate paying for car repairs! A few months ago we had to pay for a new tail light, since ours fell out. I thought it would be $50 - $60, and was putting it off. When a police man pulled me over because I was blinding him when I pushed on my breaks I figured I better get a new tail light. Know how much it cost?! $100!!! What the heck is that about- do you know what I could have done with that $100?! But I refused to put red tape on the back of my car so I paid it, and now I am scared to see how much my mirror will be!

6 comments:

Debra said...

I am just glad to hear that you are OK! We have been hearing about Arkansas on the news and wondered how you were doing. Wow! Looks like your girls have been finding plenty of things to do.

i said...

phew! ice is way difficult to deal with!!!

BrieAnn said...

Someone hit our car about a year ago and knocked our whole mirror off. The mirror (the casing and everything) was $75. I don't know ho much labor would have been for just our mirror because it did more damage. I'm glad your power was only out for a few hours.

Kirsten said...

Gee, staying in pjs til noon, play dates with friends, DS, Wii, movies....sounds like my LIFE!! I am excited for nathan to go to school next year so I don't have to try to entertain him all day every day. Sometimes it's tough!

Lish Fish said...

Ugh. I so dont envy you! I would be going crazy! I am glad things are starting to thaw. I love how Carly is sitting all cross-legged. She is all sorts of folded up. Too cute!!

thecustercrew said...

Just so you know it has been nice and sun shiny here. We would love it if you would move back:) Come on you can buy a house realllllly cheap now a days in Vegas:)