Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Missing Out

Today is one of those days where I just miss my family. This past weekend was my family reunion, and obviously I couldn't go seeing how I'm having a baby on Tuesday. I get sad when I think my mom won't see Baylee until her blessing in July, same with Darrell's mom. But I get sadder when I think that there are some of my siblings who won't see her until the next reunion- in a year! My kids have cousins they haven't seen in 3 years- cousins they love and miss! They ask me all the time, "When will we EVER see them again?!" When we went out last November they got to all the Wiser side cousins, but not even half of the Taylor side cousins. With my parents having 11 kids- it's really hard to get everyone together, even just once a year. When we go west, (I sound like a pioneer or something!) our focus is on spending time with our Mom's, and the kids seeing and having time with their Grandma's. We are also missing Darrell's family reunion this year- it's 3 weeks after I have Baylee. Sometimes it's just nice to have family here. I love my ward- we really are a close ward, and they help take the loneliness away. But nothing can replace family.

Obviously I'm having one of those hormonal, emotional days. Lack of sleep and pregnant hormones don't make it easy on a person! I know this is where Darrell and I are suppose to be- even when I'm emotional and missing all the chaos and craziness that comes with living close to family! So any of my siblings reading this- get picture's up on your blogs so I can see what everyone is looking like, so my kids can see their cousins, and so we can feel like we were there a little bit! One thing I am SO SO SO glad about! Our airport here now flies Alligiant Air. They have GREAT sales on flights to Las Vegas- we went to Las Vegas in November for $29 out and $69 home- per person. We are flying Darrell's niece out here after I have the baby and the flight here was $9! No I didn't type that wrong- it was NINE dollars! Those types of things make it a little easier to be far from everyone!

7 comments:

Castiel Moyes said...

I know how you feel. I have those days too where I just think why are we here when everyone else is so far away! But then you have the days where you know you are supposed to be where you are and you really do love it!

I hope your day gets a little better! I wish that we had air flights THAT cheap!

i said...

those deals are awesome!!!

i miss you too. :(

BrieAnn said...

We're so lucky that Jake's family is in Oklahoma, otherwise I would really be missing a familiar face. Everyone always asks if I'm planning on moving back to Arizona. It's hard to explain to them that a place isn't really home, it's the people you're with. My little family could live in Antarctica, and it would be okay (if I had a confirmation that's where we were supposed to be of course...brrr). I treasure the time I do get to see the fam' out west. I'm sure you're not planning a temple trip any time soon. ;)

Stacey said...

I totally understand how you feel! I STILL have those days too (even after 4 years here). When all of Neil's family is together for Thanksgiving, or Christmas, or Conference weekend, or whatever... Our kids really miss their grandparents & cousins too & it makes me sad that they can't be closer and have all those special times with them. But like you said, we know this is where we are supposed to be right now and feel SO incredibly blessed by how everything has worked out for us. I just wish sometimes that we could pick up Bentonville and Neil's job & move it to Utah! By the way, how is Allegiant Airlines? We thought about flying to Las Vegas, and driving from there to Utah, because the prices were so good, but I hear they charge you for every little thing--luggage, service call, etc. How was it?

Lish Fish said...

Hang in there my dear!! I am close to family (my parents) and I wish -most of the time- we had a LITTLE bit of space. Just like a 3 hr drive or something ;O)...

Glad you are able to fly out one of the girls...I am assuming Brit? $9 is ridiculous. Thats awesome.

Rachel Benefield said...

Alissa, I know how you feel. reading your blog made me want to cry! I miss being around family. Thats all I was used to be around at all times was family. Then we move here and Nobody!! Least your really close to some of the Gals in the ward. That makes it alot easier!!!

Anonymous said...

Um did I trigger a lost emotion--sorry. Hey I want to see my book on the side of your blog linking it to my author site. By the way, the newspaper came an interviewed me today about my book and St. Judes. :)